Thursday, July 30, 2009

giving big by going small through micro-finance

Thank you everyone for helping me pass 500 hits on my blog since first starting it about 4-months ago! I try to keep things interesting and informative by primarily writing about my journey through the Oxford MBA. I've also enjoyed posting information regarding my path to the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation, which is of interest to many people working in finance. And of course, with the extra free-time I have, I volunteer by teaching financial literacy (through Operation Hope), and promoting microfinance through my Board position on the Microfinance Club of New York (MFCNY) - a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to serve as a forum and network for all things microfinance.

Later today I'll be taking the Long Island Rail Road into NYC to attend this month's MFCNY event, featuring Elisabeth Rhyne, who will be talking about her new book entitled: "Microfinance for Bankers and Investors." This event will be held tonight at Deutsche Bank on Wall Street, beginning at 6:30pm. Generally, the MFCNY Board members (including myself) try to organize about 9 events a year, with most of us drawing from the support of our employers. For example, last year, with the help of Citi Microfinance, I was able to arrange 2 events with the Global Director of Citi Microfinance, who flew in from London to speak to our members regarding the risks facing microfinance, and on the niche role that institutions play in remitting money between countries.

I recommend anyone interested in learning more about microfinance to attend one of our events. The MFCNY lists events on their homepage: www.mfcny.org. We also work with the Microfinance Club UK and the Silicon Valley Microfinance Network for those of you who are living in either London or California. You can also find a list to some great books and publications on microfinance from Grameen, the winner of the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize. Good luck, and feel free to write a comment below if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment