Monday, January 25, 2010

hilary [week 2]: financial times and haggis

One might understandably wonder what the Financial Times newspaper and haggis have in common. And I must confess not much at all, other than the fact, that this week I enjoyed revelling in the glory that the Financial Times Global MBA Rankings 2010 saw Oxford move up four spots to #16 world-wide (tied with Yale) to become the second highest ranked B-school in the United Kingdom behind LBS...and that I got to expand my gastronomical limits by trying haggis.


Of course, not too much faith should be placed in these rankings, but nonetheless it serves as a signal to recruiters about the growing prestige and quality of the Oxford MBA. Had the rankings been released just a few hours earlier, I might have enjoyed a nice toast of fine Scotch during the Robert Burns Dinner that I was invited to at Merton College - by my friend Pavan.

Commemorating the Scottish poet's "Address to a Haggis" back in 1787, we all dined on traditional haggis (sheep heart, liver, and lungs), which was served alongside "neeps and tatties" (yellow turnips and potatoes). I managed to overcome my American culinary sensitivities by eating "at least one" piece of haggis. The night was filled with the sound of bagpipes playing, and dinner guests wearing their kilts and donning their best Scottish brogue. Oxford sure is an interesting place, and I've been so lucky to have had the opportunity to study here, and to make such good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment