Saturday, March 13, 2010

hilary [week 4]: valentine's day

A month has passed since I last saw my fiancée Lisa. I actually think that we've handled being apart much better than expected. Unlike some other couples where MBA really stands for "Married, But Available," Lisa and I have kept focused on what's really important to us: our wedding later this year, and making lots of money!

I attribute our success to several factors. We Skype almost every night. We constantly send little "pings" back-and-forth between our iPhones during the day. It also helps that I'm constantly distracted by studying, applying for jobs, and participating in extra-curriculars (e.g. student government, finance club, and rowing). Although I can't speak for Lisa, I imagine that it helps that she's working full-time, and has her family nearby.

That being said, at least half of MBAs decide to bring their significant other with them. There exists a strong support network here at Oxford for couples and families. But regardless of the level of support, I've noticed two things. First, there is a difference between married couples with kids, and those without. The two groups tend to "hang-out" in different circles, which is fine, because there's plenty of both to go around. Second, I observe that to keep the relationship healthy the spouse MUST find some kind of work, whether paid or unpaid (volunteer work). This can be complicated because of work visa issues, but I think that if someone wanted to, they could always find a job labeling Darwin's butterflies at the Oxford Museum of Natural History.

It also helped tremendously to make special visits every so often to see one another. This Valentine's Day Lisa flew to Oxford to see me. I picked-her up at the airport, and after spending one night at my college accommodations ("The Exeter Estate & Gardens"), we spent the weekend at the Randolph Hotel. The Randolph normally costs £215 per night minimum, but they have a special arrangement with SBS where they charges £150 per night, and this includes a hot breakfast. This amounts to a significant 30% in savings at one of the swankiest addresses in Oxford! In order to qualify for the discount, however, you have to coordinate with the front desk at SBS, which acts as a good safe-guard against non-MBAs qualifying for the discount.

Through the kind beneficense of our friends, Lisa and I enjoyed a sumptious dinner at the Christ Church Grand Dining Hall courtesy of Nisheeth, followed the next day by lunch at Lincoln College - thanks to Harpreet. We ended our vacation with Lisa's first Formal Hall dinner at Exeter College. We had a great time although the Valentine's Day vacation was too short to do much travelling outside Oxford. Especially because I had assignments due that Monday and Tuesday. At least Lisa gets to see that I really do work hard here. Enjoy the pics:

No comments:

Post a Comment