Saturday, October 31, 2009

michaelmas [week 3]: job applications

There are several things that I hope to accomplish through this blog. And one of them is to find my 'dream job during the worst recession since the 1930s.' Although I have only been living in Oxford for one month, I have already begun my job search. If you want to work in finance, then you better be prepared to hand in your applications by the end of November - at the latest. Even some consulting firms, such as McKinsey and Bain, have a deadline of November 1st. So, come to Oxford prepared with a polished CV, and a good idea of what job you want to target.

I'd like to give you an idea of what it is like to balance looking for a career while taking classes. On October 5th, in-between classes, I rushed up the stairs to check my email in the Sainsbury Library. At around 11:47AM I hear my email 'ping,' and I read about an opportunity to interview with a top European bank. Sounds good so far. Then, I read the disclaimer, "Please email your CV by 8am the following morning." Okay, no problem, this is why I already have my CV ready to go at a moment's notice.

A few days later I get an email back from the bank confirming that I had made the 'first-cut,' and was invited to interview. I was very excited, and then I read that the interview would be over two-days (during class) and in London! Again no problem, this is why I came to B-school...to get a job.

The following day I used my '16-25 Student Railcard' (cost: £26) to buy my 'return-ticket' from Oxford to London Paddington for just £9 (normally £20+). I skipped out on my Thursday Decision Science (Statistics) class, and headed for Canary Wharf - London's financial district. After this group-interview/workshop, I returned home so that I could attend my Friday morning Finance I class before leaving for my one-on-one interview at 3pm with an AVP and Director of the bank. If I had an earlier interview, then I probably would have just stayed overnight in London. By the way, this bank reimburses up to £100 for travel expenses.

Now a week has passed since my First Round interview. Although I think it went well, I now have to 'officially' submit my application online, and reference a specific job code to be considered for the Final Round. If the last sentence sounded confusing, then you would be correct to think that it is unusual to be interviewed before you submit an application. But, interestingly, I found that this was a great way to have a candid conversation with recruiting on which role best fits your profile. It will still be a few weeks before I learn my fate with this bank. I am hoping for the best, and expecting the worst. But it sure would be nice to come home during Christmas break with a job offer!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yay you're writing! And in words I can understand! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes I've finally put away my HP-12C, and will now talk about the more exciting things that happen in-between CAPM and Efficient Frontier curves.

    ReplyDelete