Thursday, June 11, 2009

pre-mba: exeter college

On 06/02/2009 I learned that Exeter College at Oxford accepted my application! It took them about 8-days to make their decision, however, I didn't find out until a week later, and it would've been longer (no doubt) if I had not contacted the b-school to inquire! As a newly admitted grad student I become a member of the Exeter MCR (Middle-Common Room), as opposed to the JCR (Junior Common Room), which is reserved for undergraduates. Technically, MCR students may also benefit from all the JCR activities, as well, so it's a no-lose situation for MBAs!

One good thing about Exeter is that it offers grad student housing at the newly renovated Exeter House on  Iffley Road. Although it's located a little further from the b-school then I would like, it gives me a chance to get some exercise by riding my bike. Plus, I'll get to live with 50+ other grad students studying all different subjects, which will allow me to make life-long friends independent from the b-school, which is good. It also saves me the additional airline flight (and frustration) in finding my own apartment, and flatmates to share it with. Plus, at about $500USD per/month for my own room, it's a steal!

Having been founded in 1314, Exeter is the fourth oldest College at the University of Oxford. As one of the three "Turl Street Colleges," the other two being Jesus and Lincoln, Exeter is centrally located on the Turl Street, which links the High Street with the Broad Street. From what I hear, Exeter has a fierce rivalry with neighbor Jesus College as they hurl more than just insults across each others' medieval walls. Of course, Exeter has a reputation for being laid-back. We're known for possessing a quiet confidence, yet without the pretension, so it's unlikely that an Exeter student would ever instigate a fight. 

Exeter most often makes it into the Travel Guides, because of its chapel spire that was constructed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, a famous British architect, who based this design on the Sainte Chapelle in Paris. The chapel, perhaps the most well-known in Oxford, also boasts artistic designs by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, who attended Exeter in the 1850's with friend, and writer, William Morris. But besides its fair share of Nobel Prize winners, statesmen, and Rhodes scholars, Exeter is perhaps best know for having been the undergraduate College of J.R.R. Tolkien, expert on Anglo-Saxon history, and writer of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. More recently, contemporary writer Philip Pullman, another fellow Exonian, returned to Oxford to film the movie, "The Golden Compass," which was based on his popular "Dark Materials" book series. I'm proud of my College, and hope to add to its distinguished history! But even more important, I can't wait to invite my family and friends who visit me to sit at the "High-Table" for a candle-lit dinner in our medieval hall pictured above! 

Admission tip #3: I've read at least one other blog of an MBA student who created an intricate Excel spreadsheet featuring certain characteristics of each College to help him determine which one he should choose. I must confess that before reading his blog, I too, created my own spreadsheet, which included such variables as: date College founded, academic ranking (according to the Norrington Table), number of MBA students in attendance, selectivity of college, and notable alumni. 

Once I narrowed down my list from 38 Colleges to my "top 8," I researched who the MCR student President was on Wikipedia and emailed them my interest in their respective College. I asked them to refer me to current MBA students so that I could get the inside-scoop. The responsiveness and comments of these MBAs also influenced my decision. I should note that normally this would be a moot point because you "pre-select" your top 2 College choices in your initial application. However, after acceptance, all students are allowed to change their choice although this is generally frowned upon. I had no choice, because my first College choice (New College) had already been filled during application Round 1. 

Anyway, I actually went a step further by searching the Oxford homepage for the Management professor at the my next College choice (Balliol). I found a hyper-link to his working papers, and I proceeded to read the abstracts for all 100+ of his articles (etc.). I then pro-actively emailed that professor indicating to him that I had applied to his College, and that I thought I would be a good fit based on his research and my background. I proceeded to briefly state the true relevant areas of overlap. The professor was very kind, but informed me of the limited number of students that that College accepts. It's true. The b-school told me that this College accepts only 1-3 students, and that they had already accepted 3 and rejected 5 others. Donald Trump is fond of saying that it never hurts to ask, because the worst someone can say is no. So, although my efforts were in vain, I can rest easy knowing that I did everything within my power to try and influence events. After Balliol rejected me, of course, I had my application forwarded on to Exeter where I was happily accepted.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!

    My college selection procedure was.. Christ Church.. W.H. Auden and Lewis Carrol.. Hogwarts Dining Hall.. acco problem, ah, I'll find one on my own.. apply!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,

    congratulations on Exeter. MY college choices were Merton and Exeter and I visited them both.

    I was very impressed with Exeter and I am sure you will enjoy your time there!


    See you in September

    -PV

    ReplyDelete